Frequently asked questions


Q. What has to be said during the Ceremony?

Your ceremony is an opportunity to express your love, your relationship and make a powerful affirmation about your future. 

 I can give you lots of ideas, resources and guidance and help you to build  a ceremony that works for you, this is your day so there is no one size fits all with weddings.

Working through the process is  fun, and sometimes insightful..



There are three components of the ceremony that must be adhered to:

  • You must say Vows to one another that contain a certain statement
  • The celebrant must recite the Monitum
  • You must be declared husband and wife in marriage.

Together we make the ceremony  a WOW experience.

It is important to feel relaxed and confident your ceremony is in safe hands, so you can truly enjoy your day.



Q. Does the bride have to be "Given Away"?

Many brides like to  see this part of the ceremony as a "welcome to family "  This can be worded in many ways but especially acknowledging family or.. family figures as being an instrumental  mentor to them.

 Some brides like to walk in with both parents, or  groom and bride can both walk in accompanied by their parents, bride and groom can walk in together or children can be involved by presenting the bride. There are no rules as to how this part of the ceremony is conducted. This needs to be choreographed to each couples idea of a grand entrance.



Q. What can we do to make our wedding really special?

As your celebrant I can  help you design a wedding that is truly yours to celebrate your special day. I encourage you  to write your own vows, if assistance is needed I am very happy to do so. If you want certain poetry or readings or music let's include them. If you want someone close to you to participate by reading, speaking or singing by all means include them. You may want to include other ceremonies such as handfasting, the rose ceremony, marriage candle ceremony, sharing of wine, sand or salt ceremony. All these and more can be made available for you to choose from.



Notice Required

A Notice of Intended Marriage Form must be lodged within 18 months and not less than one calendar month from the date the marriage is due to take place.



Documents Required

  • The Notice of Intended Marriage must be lodged at least one month prior  to the date of the wedding. You can also lodge this document up  to 18 months in advance of the wedding.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age to marry in Australia.
  • If you are Australian born you must show your original birth certificate, Passport and another form of photo ID
  • If born outside Australia, you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth.
  • If you have been previously married, you must show your Divorce Decree Absolute or a Death Certificate of a previous spouse.
  • All paperwork must be (Your birth certificate, passport from your country of birth, divorce papers or death certificate if relevant), must be sighted prior to the marriage taking place.
  • If you are bringing your partner into Australia on a prospective spouse visa I can provide you with the necessary letter for the Immigration Department. Note: Photocopies of documents are not acceptable.


If either of you are applying for immigration, what do we need to do?

Make an appointment with the Celebrant where you will complete and sign the Notice of Intended Marriage. The Celebrant will then write the necessary paperwork  for the Department of Immigration. After your marriage, all couples will need to obtain a registered copy of their Marriage Certificate.You can obtain this from the Department of Births, Deaths & Marriages. Ground floor of 595 Collins Street Melbourne 1300 369 367



Residents from all other countries:

If you live in a non-British Commonwealth country, as well as obtaining your Registered Marriage Certificate, after your marriage you will also need to obtain an Apostile stamp from the Department of Foreign Affairs in Melbourne so you can register your marriage in your country of residence.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Level 13, Casselden Place 2 Lonsdale Street (corner of Spring Street)
Melbourne VIC 3000 Tel: (03) 9221 5555